Friday, March 11, 2011

Observing Learning

First, please check the March HCOS newsletter for updated information on a variety of announcements, such as educational technology and Learning Camps (LC) in your area. link: HCOS NEWSLETTER  One of the newest LC's is Joey Clarkson who is putting on one of her Musical Theatre Camps at various locations on the Island!

Second, I just want to say, "Thank you!". 

You see, during portfolio time, I have an opportunity to provide feedback in regards to the learning that I observe.  Now, obviously, I can't be in your home at each moment that learning occurs, but I can get a glimpse of it each week through your weekly updates as well as the samples you submit with portfolios each term.  This is why I value both of these so much.  I can get to know what inspires and ignites each child, what his passion and giftings are, and where he may need to be challenged to grow.  When I get detailed weekly updates and thorough portfolios, I can mark off topics that have been covered as well as provide a mark that reflects your child's level of learning.  So, thank you for taking the time each week to share the learning that has occurred and insight into what excited your child.  Please know that communication and portfolios are so much more than just "government requirements"; they are useful tools that we can use to monitor and review the learning so that an accurate document can be produced that helps guide and direct your plans as well as honors the government and the support that we receive as a school.

So, help me "observe learning"  through your eyes by providing me a detailed "snapshot" of that learning!  Keep those updates coming and be sure to use the checklist for portfolios to ensure that you have a rich portfolio full of items that reflect your child!        

No comments:

Post a Comment