Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reading Strategies

I work with a wonderful group of teachers at HCOS.  This week, my colleague Bev Scholman has agreed to share her ideas on reading stategies.

A colleague shared 1 Peter 1:3-5 this week, and it so blessed me that I thought I’d share it with you. This week I also found a list of reading questions, which you can apply to your reading. This is an important part of teaching a child to read, so I thought I’d illustrate with a few questions here. As you read you’ll see why they are important.

BEFORE
* What am I going to learn?
* Why did the author write this? (Peter and God)
* Who is speaking?
  DURING
* Why is this information important?
* Do I understand what the author is saying?
 AFTER
* When the author said ___ I wondered…
* Do I agree with what the author said?
* What was the main idea?

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honour, and glory  at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith — the salvation of your souls.”

Particularly in our Bible reading, but also in other reading, we need to connect with what we’ve read to really benefit from it. For a longer list of reading comprehension questions for before, during, and after, visit http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/asking_questions.htm


Blessings!

J Bev.

No comments:

Post a Comment